Monday, May 29, 2017

7 Wonders of Chicago

It was a surprising difficult task to pick out seven places I want to visit during my stay in Chicago this summer. There is just so much in the city - it was almost impossible to make a choice. Eventually, I caved in to my weakness for pretty scenery and lovely architectures, and below are my picks for where I want to go in Chicago this summer! 
  • The Renaissance Society - Founded in 1915, it is one of the nation's oldest museums dedicated to contemporary art, which is quite ironic. The Renaissance Society generally features around four exhibition per year, with frequent events like concerts, mini performances, poetry readings, and much more. Hopefully, I'll be able to catch one of these events when I visit (particularly one of the poetry readings) because that will be one unforgettable experience for sure.
Inside the Renaissance Society
  • Rockefeller Chapel - Don't get me started on this one! The Rockefeller Chapel has to be probably the place I'm most excited to visit. You don't even have to be religious to appreciate this work of art. The architecture of this chapel is simply amazing - and not only on the outside. The interior of the chapel is breathtaking as well, adorned by intricate woodcarvings. There is no way I'll miss visiting a place as beautiful as this. 
    Interior of the Rockefeller Chapel
    Rockefeller Chapel in the evening
  • Gerald Ratner Athletics Center - A completely vibe than the chapel, but somewhere I want to visit equally as much, is the Gerald Ratner Athletics Center, named after Gerald Ratner, a UChicago alumnus. This super fancy athletic center is designed by César Pelli, who is also the architect of the tallest twin building in the world, the Petronas Towers! Basically, this is just me wanting to visit an extremely nice athletic facility that also happens to have unique architecture.
    Gerald Ratner Athletics Center
  • Promontory Point - All these buildings and city structures - it's time for me to include some nature in this list! (Though, perhaps, not completely "natural" nature.) Promontory Point is actually a man-made peninsula, but of course, that doesn't make its view and scenery any less beautiful. I'd imagine this would be the perfect place to unwind and relax. (Fun fact: apparently, they used to occasionally ticket swimmers, but finally they have opened an official swimming area.)
    Man-made peninsula
  • Joe and Rika Mansueto Library - If any of you believed I could actually complete my Chicago visit without at least going to one library, I am very sorry to disappoint you. There's is no way a bookworm like me can resist the Joe and Rika Mansueto Library. The newest library in the university of Chicago, it is designed as a glass dome. Super awesome! I really want to try reading there. 
The elliptical glass dome of the Joe and Rika Mansueto Library
Museum of Science and Industry
  • Museum of Science and Industry - Any science and industry museum that is situated right in front of a body of water is my cup of tea. At the Museum of Science and Industry, there are 75 major halls and over 2000 exhibits - I can't even go to all of them in one day! The museum seems to be quite a popular tourist attraction, so I'm sure it'll be crowded, but I think it is definitely worth a visit.
  • Statue of The Republic in Jackson Park - It is designated as a Chicago Landmark. Although it stands 24 feet tall, it is actually a smaller replica of another statue. Chicago historians refer to her as the "Golden Lady." I'm not sure what, but there's just something about this statue that calls out to me, and I really want to see it in person. 
    I thought this was a golden version of the Statue of Liberty at first...
That concludes my list of seven places I want to visit in Chicago this summer! There are so many more interesting and worthwhile places, I hope I get to visit more than just these seven that I mentioned here and share the experience with everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment