Sunday, May 28, 2017

Chicago Adventures!

I hope to have many adventures while in Chicago this summer, and there are many choice places that I hope to visit during my time there. For ideas of places to visit I asked my mom who visited Chicago a few years ago and loved it, and also took advice on places to see from UChicago ILCers from last year. From that I drew a list of things I would like to do.

The Art Institute of Chicago seems like a common must visit while in Chicago. The painting American Gothic by Grant Wood is there, and so are the 68 Thorne Miniature Rooms. There's also a lot of impressionist work which is my favorite painting style, so I'd love to spend a day there and enjoy the art.
Impressionist paintings at AIC
Of course I can't go to Chicago and not visit Millennium Park. I'll have to go and take the typical picture in front of Cloud Gate or the Bean. It's a standard piece of Chicago tourism that I would love to get the chance to experience.

One of the things I want to do is more of something I want to eat. While I'm in Chicago I absolutely must have some Chicago Style deep dish pizza. My favorite food is pizza, and my favorite pizza style is deep dish, but I've never had authentic Chicago deep dish. I'm definitely looking forward to having some!

One of the places that Alice told me to check out at the dinner, was the Museum of Industry and Science, Chicago. After looking at the website, this museum looks really interesting and is apparently within walking distance of UChicago. I'm especially excited to take a look at the Henry Crown Space Center, as they have the real Apollo 8 module and Aurora 7 capsule! The Whispering Gallery also seems quite intriguing, as the use of sound reflection is just perfect so you can hear someone whispering all the way across the room.

View from the Observation Deck
I'm hoping to be able to get a stellar view of Chicago and Lake Michigan from the 360 Chicago Observation Deck of the John Hancock Tower. It lies right above the Magnificent Mile and has -as you can tell has outstanding sights.

Another place I want to visit is Navy Pier. With the food and attractions, it seems like a great place to have fun. I want to go on the Centennial Wheel and get views from high up. I want to walk along the boardwalk and take in some classic tourist experiences during my time there.

As a lover of Astronomy, I want to go visit Adler Planetarium. I love science museums like Adler with the planetarium shows, interesting exhibits, and of course museum stores. Adler planetarium is also supposed to have amazing views of the Chicago skyline. It's also the first planetarium built in the USA. 
View from Adler Planetarium!
Overall I want to have an amazing time in Chicago and visit some wonderful sights.

No comments:

Post a Comment