Sunday, July 16, 2017

Chill Day is the New Metonymy for Homework Day

Remember how I said today was going to be a chill day for me to relax before class begins tomorrow? Well, apparently, when I said “relax,” I actually meant “do homework all afternoon and then go to the gym in the evening and call it a day,” because that's the summary of my day today.

Let’s rewind a bit. My day officially began when I got out of bed at 10:40 AM. I had woken up at 10 AM, but it was a Sunday, and the dorm is always freezing when I get up, so I didn’t have the motivation to make any move to drag myself out from under my blanket to be a productive person until 10:30 AM, when Kara banged on the door. Seeing as I already had to leave my bed, I texted my lab partner, Elaine, to see if she was up for working on our lab report. She was, and I went to the bathroom to get ready.

I went to Elaine’s room, which is just right down the hall of where my room is, since she has a single, and Michelle, Kara, and other people were still in my room. I sat on Elaine’s bed, and we divided up the work evenly between us. We would both do three questions (each question has many parts and requires explaining), peer edit each other’s answers afterwards, and then do the last question together. It sounded like a game plan, and we set out to start working.
The morning was kind of cloudy. We turned on the lights to do work.
Elaine is actually the least easily-distracted person I have met since I came to UChicago. We were both very concentrated as we worked and only talked when we were uncertain about wording or how to answer a question. It was otherwise silent as we worked, with only the sound of typing accompanying us.

At 12:30 PM, I took a break for lunch, as I didn’t eat breakfast. Elaine wasn’t hungry yet, so she came down went to lunch later. We met back at her room again at 3:00 because believe it or not, it took both of us all that time so far to complete the three questions we were both responsible for. It was a struggle, alright. We spent some times peer-editing each other’s responses, and I finished first, so I went on to start the last question.

Once it hit 4:30 PM, Elaine and I called it quits. We still had a little part of the last question left, but we were mentally exhausted, so we agreed to finish the last bit after dinner.
I needed to get outside after a day and afternoon in the dorms.
I went to find Karla, who told me earlier she wanted to make a trip to CVS. I suggested she should probably go to Target, since most things are not as pricey, and the trip would only be two minutes longer. It was a nice walk to Target, a good break after working on homework at maximum concentration for so long.

I feel like I should mention that this is the third time I have gone to Target in the span of one week, and the second consecutive day that I have gone there (we went there yesterday, too, after the Art Institute of Chicago). This is the most Target trips I have ever made in one week, especially to the same Target, and I didn’t even need to buy anything any of those three times.
Back at it again with Target
We got back to the dorms at around 6 PM, and while Karla headed back to her room, I went to go to the gym with Kara, Olivia, and Lindsay. I spent 40 minutes on the treadmill, burning off 287.9 calories, according to the machine, feeling proud of myself, and proceeded to the dining hall where I ate a meal I am fairly sure is over 287.9 calories. Such is my life.
You see those numbers - all those calories I burned? Yeah, I ate all of them right back. 
After dinner, Elaine and I finally finished our lab report. I took a shower, and came back to see Kara, Jahnvi, Lindsay, and Michelle in the room. Michelle was gathering everyone in our room for a fashion show, and we waited forever for Michelle to go hunt down Raqueeb and Olivia. Afterwards, everyone lingered around for a while, not really motivated to move, but eventually, we all had our work to do, so they all left. 

I still had some readings to do that are due soon (not tomorrow), so I started on those, but I hadn't realized how late it was getting, so soon, I began writing my blog. 

My Sunday was definitely not the relaxing and chill day I had expected. 

No comments:

Post a Comment