Monday, July 17, 2017

I No Longer Have a Single. It's Official.

We were practicing some real time management this morning. In exactly 7 minutes, Lindsay and I went down to the cafeteria and got ourselves coffee and a bagel. We got to class early so we had plenty of time to finish our breakfast there. 
Finding solar constant setup

After a  quiz, we did a lab on finding the solar constant. Professor Kron had us use a black aluminum plate and an infrared thermometer to find values to plug into an equation and find the missing value, which was the solar constant. We got to work in groups, so I got to talk to new people. This made me realize one huge difference between the law class and physics class: everyone in law talked to almost EVERYONE in the room. In physics, people mostly work by themselves and go on their own paths, without spending much time talking to every single person in the room. This is quite apparent when you notice that the law class had a group chat made on the first day, but the physics class still doesn't have one a whole week in. I did try to arrange a big group chat, but the enthusiasm for it wasn't as big as it was in the law class. 

Lindsay and I then took a nap after eating lunch, and overslept by a whole minute. (We arrived to class a minute late). It was alright though because half the class wasn't even in the room by then. Once class started again, we split back into our groups and worked on the lab. Professor Kron then took each group down one by one and had us look through a H Alpha telescope to look a the Sun. Don't worry though, this gold apparatus was made for looking at the sun, which showed up pretty much as a red circle. 

It was then time to work on our projects. So far, I had decided on choosing, "How to determine what type of nebula you're looking at." Last week when I told Professor Kron about it, he said that this was Hubble's research paper in grad school. I think I might be on the right path in life. 

H Alpha telescope
But then, someone asked Prof. Kron about a graph, and I jumped in and began asking more questions. Pretty soon, we were talking about dark matter, and I thought, what if I made my topic on "Proofs of dark matter" instead. Pretty soon, Prof. Kron was showing me a presentation he made at a company about this topic and how he had a friend who pioneered this research. He showed me all her data and suggested I replicate her findings and prove that dark matter must exist. 

My mind was legitimately blown. I had to do this topic no matter how challenging it turned out to be. At that moment, I couldn't have been any happier in making the switch to this class. I have ALWAYS wanted to learn more about dark matter, and this was the perfect time to. I have a professor who is doing research on dark matter, and who has extensive knowledge on this subject. This has to be the best project I have ever done in my past 16 1/2 years of life. 

After I got back, I took a hard, long nap that lasted one and a half hour. I actually didn't even know where I was or whether it was day or night when I woke up. It took me a while to get back into the working zone. 

But as usual, Lindsay soon came in and started working on my bed. I think it's official that she has moved into my room, and I pretty much no longer have a single. Then, also as usual, Michelle soon came banging in with a new friend she made: Hamilton. In this exact way Lindsay and I also met David last night. Both are from the Economic Pathway program that actually just started yesterday. So I guess we'll just have to see who else Michelle meets and brings to us tomorrow while we're doing physics. 
Hamilton, David, Kara, Lindsay

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jahnvi,
    We are glad you like this class.
    Great,you are doing very hard work.

    ReplyDelete