Monday, July 10, 2017

My Life is a Mess Pt.1 of 21

I was a nervous wreck. I woke up and thought I was too late. What if I couldn't find the class on time? I rushed out and quickly grabbed breakfast as fast I could. I had to make it on time. After
Oops. I forgot to take pictures today. OH NOOOOOOO
grabbing cereal, I came back up to see Stella who was JUST heading down to the cafeteria. She said she was just going to grab something really quick so I decided to wait for her so we could walk to class together. Just then, I got a call from Michelle who was just about to head over too, so the three of us just walked to the Econ building together. 

The class was on the second floor in a conference room, surprisingly. Ms.Scott got there at about 9:20 AM and by that time most of the students had poured in. We first did introductions and I can undoubtedly say that I have never met a group more passionate about law than them. There were three other kids who also took this class as part of scholarship program and had everything paid for them. One of the girls (Stella) was the captain of her mock trial team that competes in state competitions, and others are part of debate teams that go to nationals. I became even more nervous. We then learned some fun facts about the Constitution and had a quick lecture before going down the the bookstore to get the case file book. Sadly, the book changed from last year's so I can't use Ryan's and had to buy one. 

My life is truly a mess
After lunch, we had a long lecture and all of us began rapidly writing down notes as Ms.Scott talks pretty fast. We then did some group activities about jury selection and heard another quick lecture before class ended. 

I always wondered how the wrong decision gets made in courts (like the Stanford rape case), so I asked about it. Apparently companies and people with lots of money have lawyers that do mock cases (or pretty much just the whole case) in front of juries again and again to get a reaction out of them. After doing this enough times, a perfect case is formed that can sway anyone to their side. 

I will admittedly say, however, that I am very nervous and overwhelmed. Humanities had never been my thing, unlike everyone in my class. I have always been a hard-core STEM oriented person who would self-learn physics and coding. Taking a class that literally gives you over 200 pages to read on the first day is scary. I want to do the best I can, but I still want an A which will be hard to earn. Our first test is this Friday, and will last about three hours. So, I will probably need to get cracking on those law books right about now. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jahnvi,

    Don't worry, you'll do very good. You have always done much better than my expectation. Just keep yourself on top of it.

    With best wishes,
    Deepak

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear jahnvi,
    Don't lose your confidence. You are a smart and hardworking
    girl. You will do it.
    Also life is not Always about grade,learning is the most
    important part of life.Don't be nervous. You will do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jahnvi,
    You're going to learn so much by being around so many new people! Things that scare us are usually the best things in life. I am so proud of the work you are and will be doing!
    Love,
    Mom/Sciacca Flocka Flame

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep going Janu....Don't worry we all are with you.....?All the best

    ReplyDelete