Sunday, July 16, 2017

What a Fan-Shack-tic Weekend


Shake Shack is good, but is it two-days-in-a-row level good? Today I found out that the answer is a resounding yes. After waking up at noon and having a veggie burger for breakfast/lunch, you would think that I’d have had enough burgers for the weekend, eating them two meals in a row and whatnot. However, apparently that wasn’t enough, and I had to have another one for dinner. I go through food phases a lot; in the beginning of this trip it was pizza, which I had every day for at least 4 days in a row, then it was the rice that the dining hall had for dinner for a couple of days, and I guess now it’s burgers.
Shake Shack, day two
The first meal (burger) of my day came at lunch, because I woke up at noon. Because I slept in so late and did less schoolwork than usual yesterday, I decided to be extra-productive after lunch and clean my room before I started writing the introduction to my research paper. (Even though the paper is a group project, everyone in the group gets to write their own introduction). My dorm has been representative of two completely opposite scenarios regarding cleanliness; one on hand, there’s my roommate, George, who has everything methodically placed and positioned for maximum efficiency, and on the other hand there’s my side, which vaguely resembles the sale section of a clothing store after a busy day. When I’m not at the library, I do most of my work at my desk, so having a clean space to operate really helped. Cleaning also helps me prepare my mind for what I have to do next, so by the time I was done, I was ready to finish my introduction.

After I finished cleaning, I started my introduction. I had already decided what information I was going to use from the articles my group and I gathered throughout the week, but I felt like I needed to be more specific, so I spent a lot of time poring over the articles until what felt like enough information was extracted. I then had to figure out a way to put them together while sacrificing the least amount of information, and then somehow make the resulting blob of words coherent and readable. Writing an introduction for a psychology research paper sounds easy, but because it involves the citation of several other articles and the specifics of their research, it takes so long. I worked on it from around 1 PM until 5 PM.
Lindsay at Millennium Park
At around 5 PM, George came back to the room and asked me if I wanted to play basketball with him. I needed a break from working, so I agreed, and we headed to the gym. The gym is really close to the dorms, which is both good and bad. It’s good because obviously the trip is a lot shorter, but it’s bad because I don’t have a significant excuse to make for not going more often. We shot around for a while, and then decided to play one-on-one. George is a pretty good ball handler, but his weak hand is kind of suspect when it comes to finishing, so I at least had a plan on defense. However, despite my best efforts, he still managed to get to the rim somewhat consistently, even if he couldn’t finish every time. As for me, I rarely play basketball, so my range pretty much extends to the free throw line, meaning that I could only drive to the rim with my very limited handle. I’m a few inches taller than George, though, so I could hit a couple of pull-up jumpers over him. Needless to say, George undeniably won, although I did manage to keep it from being embarrassing with a couple of consecutive buckets every now and then.

We finished playing basketball, and then it was time for dinner (burger), where we went on the trip to get Shake Shack (“we” being Olivia, Kara, Lindsay, and I). Dinner was very enjoyable; the line was short and quick, and we had enough time before the 10 PM curfew to bring our food to Millennium Park to eat. Feeling the disappearance of the sun on our skin as we ate our Shake Shack was quite enjoyable, and it was a good way to end the weekend.
Millennium Park is honestly so great to be in.

1 comment:

  1. Next week's research paper: how does an abundance of veggie burgers, rice and pizza affect learning?

    ReplyDelete