Saturday, July 15, 2017

I Can Be Artsy When I Want

Jahnvi and I woke up earlier than the rest of the group we were going to The Art institue of Chicago with, as we had a physics lab to complete. By the time we were done it was around 10:30 and we were leaving in 30 minutes. After getting ready and gathering the rest of the group (Raqeeb, Kara, Cecilia, and Olivia) we headed to the L and took the green line downtown. 

While on the L I did find an answer to my question about switching cars. Though you're not supposed to do it, today we saw a person lift up the box the that said do not open, turn a lever and move to the next car. The view between the cars was horrifying. With a gap big enough to stick your calf through and the signs explicitly stating not to, I would never do that.

We walked to the steps of the art institute to meet Ms. Sciacca aka Sciacca Flocka Flame and immediately were on the search for food.

I had never had Shake Shack before, but Raqeeb claimed that we had to go to Shake Shack at some point, so why not today. The line looked ominous when we first walked in and we lightly considered going to another Shake Shack or finding food elsewhere when the line started moving rather quickly. Shake Shack was pretty good, I didn't have the best burger in my life, but I wasn't exactly expecting that to happen. After we were done with our food we quickly moved onto the Art Institute of Chicago.

"The Golden Age" and "The Festival"
Once inside we split up to look at what we wanted. Olivia and Raqeeb wandered together, along with Cecilia and Jahnvi, and for a short time Kara and I. I wanted to see Impressionism and European art before looking for other art eras to explore. I wandered pretty slowly around the 2nd floor, so soon Kara wandered off to find the painting American Gothic. I spent quite some time looking at work by Degas and Signac, along with looking at two paintings by Sir Edward John Poynter.

I know art museums aren't everyone's thing and certainly not all art styles are for me, but I really love the Art of Chicago. It had a good amount of Impressionism along with beautiful 19th century European Art, and Greek sculptures. I could definitely spend another entire day in the art institute and still not see everything. If I have any time I might go back to look some more.

Eventually I went to the lower level to look at the Thorne Miniature Rooms. As I looked at more and more of the tiny rooms, I became more impressed. Each tiny room had elaborate designs and concepts with tiny seams and bricks and even views outside the windows. 

At around 3:30 I met up with Cecilia, Jahnvi, and Kara, and we went upstairs to explore the New Contemporary section that I had completely avoided. We met Ms. Sciacca(Sciacca Flocka Flame), Raqeeb, and Olivia downstairs in front of the museum shop at 4. We wandered around the store for about 20 minutes before everyone was done shopping, and walked to the L where we parted with Sciacca Flocka Flame and headed back to the dorms. 
Raqeeb fell asleep on the L and Cecilia was nice enough to hold his head up.
Now we're all in Olivia and Kara's room doing work for our classes.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you and the crew got to enjoy one of my favorite places!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my favorite places, too! Lindsay definitely took full advantage of it! It was awesome!

      Delete