Saturday, July 22, 2017

Physics to Hair: The Daily Lives of Jahnvi and Lindsay


It was a whirlwind of a day. It almost feels as if there were two different days in the past 15 hours.

Our class trying to take a group photo
In class, we all had to present our projects and I realized how much time some people had put into it. They tried collecting data from so many different sources, and every one of us in that class can tell you that finding data is very hard and tedious. My project was probably one of the most math-based. A pair had mixed math with data collection for their project, which worked out perfectly because one of them loves math and the other hates it. Maybe for the next project I'll try to find someone with opposite interests than me and ask them to work with me so we have a well-rounded perfect project. 

In between the projects, there was a guest speaker, Huanqing Chen, another grad student. She talked about star clusters, but being completely honest, I got lost halfway through the presentation and my mind started drifting off because she spoke too quietly for me. I think that presentation reminded me of how presentation skills and the need to have a natural loud voice is important, so when it was my turn to present, I spoke VERY loudly. According to Lindsay it wasn't too loud so I think I was fine.

Matching outfits gotten
After presentations, we quickly went over how things would be at Yorkes, and it reminded us that we were at the last week of the session. The speed by which this second week went by was unbelievable. The first week had felt almost as if it was a month, while this second week seems as if it was only 3 days. Both weeks have been equally eventful, but I think I'm just getting used to having unexpected turns every minute now. 

After dinner, Kara, Lindsay, Michelle and I went downtown. Lindsay and I want to go out as much as we possibly can this weekend since we will be leaving Chicago on Monday. The two of us even got matching outfits from H&M which were very cheap and cute. (The top was only $4 so that's a pretty good deal). 

We then walked around trying to find hair dye. Yep, hair dye. Lindsay and I had decided that we were going to die our hair (without bleach) since Olivia knew how to do all this. Why not live life to the fullest? Both of us still can't stop laughing at how much this trip is starting to seem like actual college.

Lindsay was able to find her purple dye, but before I could find my red one, rain started pouring. Michelle and Kara had gotten separated from us, and they called saying there were in The Peninsula Hotel. The first step was us getting us united so Lindsay and I ran to the hotel in the rain, which was actually quite fun. Once we got there, Michelle checked the Uber prices, but they had skyrocketed into the high 40s and low 50s, which sounded like trouble. 

Luckily, Kara is good friends with Felipe, a student in her economy class. Felipe is on the high-class end of the spectrum and was actually staying at this hotel. After a little bugging from Kara, he came down and handed her $60 in cash to pay for Uber since his driver was sleeping and we had to make it in time for curfew. The four of us can't be any more thankful for his actions.

Olivia set up a salon in her dorm. There's a mirror and
laptop with Netflix in front.
After reaching the dorms, Lindsay and I ran to the nearby CVS and Target to find dye for my hair. Originally, I was going to die my hair with red Kool-Aid, but Target had closed by the time we got to it, so I ended up using another company's red dye in CVS. Excitedly, Lindsay and I ran into Olivia's room with all the supplies, ready to get our hair dyed. The results will show up tomorrow, and then Olivia will probably have to add a second layer since my hair is very dark. Pictures and updates of our hair (and adventures) will then have to be shown tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment