Friday, July 7, 2017

Water You Doing?...Playing in Water

The first thing in the morning: the stereotypical groan and push of the snooze button. It was 6:30 AM, but because we had to take turns shower, try to put on make up, and spend a stressful 20 minutes picking our outfits, it was necessary to wake up this early. 

We got breakfast pretty quickly, and headed straight to the L train. There were some nice sights including walls with graffiti all over and lots of brick houses that we don't get to see back home. I admit I wasn't the most excited to tour Northwestern because it wasn't on my current list of colleges to apply to. 

Us with Jordan
We got to the Segal Visitor Center and were surprised to see a lot of people there waiting for the tour. Everyone got sent to a presentation room, which was purple of course. It answered most of our questions, and really stressed how the people at Northwestern are supportive and care about each other. They didn't allow too many questions at the end so I had to ask the presenters afterward if it mattered whether I applied undeclared to a school and tried switching into a major that is generally competitive, like Computer Engineering. Apparently, it doesn't matter what major you choose to go to, unless it's theater, because they don't have a cap on numbers. Admissions officers also don't allow the college you choose to determine your chance of getting into Northwestern; applying as an engineer is just as hard as applying in their theater program. I think this is a huge plus point because it gives students the chance to pursue what they are truly interested in, not what others think they are capable of. 

Wildcat vs. Titan
Pretty soon, the tour guides walked in and energy filled the room. Each of them introduced themselves, and we got to pick who our guide would be. We decided immediately to go with Jordan who majored in Physics, minored in Theater, and did her masters in Mechanical Engineering. Our tour was filled with her telling us a lot of anecdotes that really painted a nice picture of Northwestern and the people there. The stories made the students here seem very human and relatable, which you don't often hear about in prestigious school. 

Most importantly, at the end of the tour, I asked Jordan what I should major in because I still can't decide between Computer Engineering or Mechanical Engineering. She told me that it sounded like I wanted to do mostly hardware work with some software and suggested I apply here as an Electrical Engineer because it combines both of those equally and also falls under the EECS department at NU. She told me that I should look up the specifics of Computer and Electrical Engineering at every college I apply to before I pick the major because it's slightly different everywhere. It answered a lot of my questions and I can say that I am one step closer to figuring out what I want to do exactly in the future. 

After Jordan gave us some tips on where to eat (at Giordano's), we went really quickly down to the South Beach at NU which was right next to the bookstore. The sand was oddly nice and soft, and the water was very clean. 
This picture speaks 1000 words. 

We then went down to Millenium Park and the first thing we saw was the Crown Fountain. Of course Lindsay and I had to go through there; we had become one with the water. Afterwards, I saw a black structure with kids on it so I thought, "Wow that seems like a nice place to take a picture. I should climb on it." Lindsay joined me and we were able to snap a quick picture but then were immediately told to get off by a lady because apparently there was a sign that clearly said to get off. We quickly apologized and then ran off to the Bean, which I thought was clean, but everyone else didn't. After taking a couple pictures, we headed back to the hotel so we could get a chance to swim in the pool which was very relaxing.
Not a pinto bean, but THE Bean
Currently, our sore bodies are in bed and we are finishing up our blogs, nervous and excited for what will be in store for us tomorrow at UChicago. 
Instagram worthy.
I am one with the water

3 comments:

  1. You and that water--you were born to smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow , all are looking so happy .
    Great pictures. Smiling faces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow , all are looking so happy .
    Great pictures. Smiling faces.

    ReplyDelete