Saturday, July 8, 2017

The Wrong Coffee Pt. 2

Trying to copy the gargoyle
The tables have turned. The girls were early today by three minutes and Raqeeb was late by a good 15 minutes. Even worse, he came down with all his luggage even though Mom had texted us this morning saying we didn't need to. Then, Cecilia had to help him drop off his luggage back to the room before we go eat breakfast. 

We finally began walking to a nearby cafe, and I ordered Nutella croissants, which I had no idea existed. Then, I also wanted to order coffee so I looked at all the descriptions and decided that capuccino sounds nice, so I ordered it. Once again, when it was handed to me it was nothing like I expected. Luckily, they had a lot of sugar and sweetener packets nearby that I could pour into the coffee to make it taste somewhat like what I wanted. According to Lindsay, if I keep choosing the wrong coffee (like at EBC) then eventually I will be able to find the right one. 

This was opposite the bookstore
After I drank the unexpectedly strong coffee and gained too much energy, we all headed back to Omni to pick up our bags and leave. But we didn't leave before taking full advantage of the free stuff there and grabbing bottles of lotion and mineral soap. Mom called up a Lyft and we headed down to UChicago with butterflies in our stomach, thinking of "what if" scenarios. 

After checking in, we walked straight to the bookstore and bought our clothes. I initially had some trouble finding a hoodie that fit me, but finally found something in the children's section which is great because it was great and I could buy a top that still fit within the budget. 

When we headed back to the check-in area, there were some staff members who took families to the Welcoming room. Somehow, we missed three waves of staff members leading us to the room because each time, one of us needed to go the bathroom. At the room there were some instructions given to us before we split into RA groups and had a mini tour of UChicago.

Personally, the tour didn't really help me but it was a great way to make new friends. I met two people also taking Law and Litigation, and Olivia who was taking Creative Writing. I thought it was funny that one of my first new friends would be a girl named Olivia, which was the name of my roommate last year. 

Us with one of our bought things
We came back to the room for Orientation, which was more geared toward to the students with a list of do's and don't's. After what felt like a long time, we finally got to go grab our bags and IDs. Luckily we made some very smart decisions and decided to grab our IDs first, while everyone else was in line to grab their luggage. While we were in line for our IDs, Mom was in the luggage line. By the time we had grabbed our IDs, the line for luggage was super short so we didn't have to do too much waiting. And, best of all, we didn't even need to wait in the ID line with all our heavy bags. 

But the whole way, I kept wondering who my roommate would be, and I couldn't wait. When I opened the door, it seemed oddly small. I looked inside and saw one desk, a window, and one bed. Then it hit me. I had a single. I was so disappointed because I was looking very forward to having a roommate, and seeing what type of relationship we'd have. Mom reassured me that I'd be fine because I could actually get sleep, and people would keep inviting me to their rooms or just come to mine since it's a single. 

Raqeeb and Olivia
I was suddenly starving and wanted to grab dinner, so I found Cecilia and Olivia to go down. We called up Raqeeb and Lindsay to join us. At the cafeteria, Raqeeb and I found a Jae-An look-a-like. I decided I had to talk to him, so I asked Raqeeb to come with me. We realized he was sitting alone so invited him to our dinner, and simultaneously Cecilia brought her friend Karla, which increased the size of our table. 

Afterwards we explored the Campus North Residential Commons and found some study groups rooms and rows and rows of washing machines. 

We then had a quick meeting about rules of the dorms followed by free time. Raqeeb called us to his room because the sunset looked beautiful and the view was great, unlike all of ours. (Lindsay, Olivia, and her roommate Kara see the dumpster, and I see tufts of dying grass). 

Olivia wanted to go jogging, but none of us were up for it so we instead went to Insomnia Cookies which was in the Commons. I didn't buy anything, but I did eat some M&M's from Olivia's cookie. 

We then headed back to the dorms, and after a while set out on a quest to find a place to blog together. We found a study group room on the 11th floor and finished up our blogs in hopes of going back down early to play Cards Against Humanities with other people...and waking up to making new friends tomorrow. 

1 comment: