Sunday, July 9, 2017

We Found Hogwarts and It Was Closed


We original planned to have breakfast at 8 AM. Of course that didn't happen. Today isn't  structured, leaving us with loose timings. Jahnvi and I ended up going to breakfast around 9, finding Cecilia there. 

I also managed to spill my cereal all over the table. How exactly? I still have no idea. One moment my cereal was in the bowl and the next it was on the table and my hand.

Before we left for breakfast Olivia had asked us to fill her water bottle full of scalding hot coffee. The bottle was definitely not made to hold coffee so it burned to the touch. So of course we told Cecilia to touch it and told Olivia to get a legitimate thermos.
Kara on Our Walk

We went back to the dorms and Jahnvi, Olivia, Kara, and I  wanted to find the library that looked like Hogwarts. As Jordan our tour guide from Northwestern put it best, colleges seem to be in competition to be the most British and love Harry Potter the most. On our walk across campus we complimented buildings and talked.
When we made it to the building we found that we could get inside but couldn't  see the room we were told about. We looked at what we could in the building and then rushed back to the dorms for group activities.
Kara, Olivia, and Jahnvi all have the same RA group so they were all together, while I was with my RA Ellie. A lot of people on floors 3,4,5 had decided to go to the food festival downtown. I stayed and got to know my RA group better.

There were only 10 of us excluding Ellie and none of the people I talked to before were in it, so I took the opportunity to make some new friends. As Ellie showed us the buildings our classes were in I got to know a girl named Vicky. Vicky is from China and is taking the Economics course. We talked about majors, she wants to major in PPE(Philosophy, Politics, and Economics), colleges, and our interests. I also talked a bit to Scarlett, her roommate.
Scarlett thought this looked like Batman's head.
After everyone knew where their classes were, we gathered in a circle to throw a frisbee around and get to know each other's names. First we tossed around the frisbee saying our own names for people to remember, then switched it up to saying someone's name, tossing them the frisbee, and asking them a question.  I'm absolutely terrible at throwing a frisbee apparently, so I dropped it very often, but it was still fun.

We then made our way to baker dining commons to eat lunch, and ate as an RA group. 

Following lunch Olivia, Kara, Jahnvi, Raqeeb, and I decided to go to the beach. We took an Uber there, walked on some rocks by Lake Michigan, and dangled our feet in before going into the water. Raqeeb stayed behind on the rocks as he wanted to read for his class. 

The water was really beautiful and clear. I never expected the sand to be as soft as it was, but it really was significantly softer than any beaches I've been on in California.  It was all around a really nice beach. I hadn't thought about how a beach would look different and would have less sea gunk on it if it was a lake, but since it was a lake the beach was pretty clean. We swam around in the water for a while just walking about and talking, before laying on the rocks to dry.

We stopped at Target on the way back from the beach to grab snacks for our dorms, and began settling in to get work done.
This is Michelle!
Definitely worth noting today is that Cecilia's roommate came! Her name is Michelle and she's also from the Bay Area. She's in Jahnvi's course, and really fun to hang out with. We didn't do anything big with her today, but she's been hanging out with us as we work on our blogs and room descriptions.

1 comment:

  1. I've been following your first days of this adventure - the prep, flight and learning where you are for the next weeks. I imagine you get down to business today (Monday). I'm looking forward to your updates and thought about how things are going - the good, the not-so-good and best of all, the surprises. --- PaPa

    ReplyDelete